Friday, January 27, 2006

being called to be a host

Namaste!

I just joined the open space sangha, thanks Wendy for the invitation you posted to OS list...I was part of the question circle at OSonOS this year and I enjoyed it very much. And thanks to it now I explore this wonderful blog that speaks to my heart...

wow, your question is quite a powerful one for me dear Wendy because I was actually “initiated” as a host at a magical place called Castle Borl where the art of hosting was also born! Story goes like that: a visionary by the name of Miha Pogacnik who founded Idriart starts being a guardian for this extraordinary space and offers it as a learning space to those who hears Castle Borl's (ww.borl.org) calling...in summers of 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 one of the events hosted at this magical place was called “Open Space Learning Village” which turned out to be a catalyst, a cooking pot, a transformative space for many individuals and groups that gave birth to many ideas and initiatives such as art of hosting, such as learning centers...
I too found myself at this castle, first time in 2002, where I met open space for the first time...well that encounter obviously changed my life profoundly. It was the start of a longer, deeper, transforming process of opening up, self-exploration, facing fears, understanding freedom and community...I remember how terrified and lost I was in the first few days of open space, my body and my mind reacted so strongly, I contracted with fear that came with this immense freedom and space and not knowing what to do with myself...a lot of insecurity came up that I had to face...can you imagine I didn't even know how to ask questions at that point, I was coming out of such limited space with defined corners.
Then I slowly relaxed and enjoyed the magic rhythm of open space and the humor and interconnectedness that came along with it...
one crucial process that wonderfully complemented open space was the circle...it just occurred to me actually that the circle and open space are like the feminine and masculine energies that complement, balance, feed each other...
so running around Castle Borl in open space was the first time I deeply connected with myself and the world around me which is one after all...
It was a beautiful experience of a personal and collective transformation into higher consciousness and that is exactly what it means for me to host...
this experience of opening that helped me to find the power, strength, capability, love and care within me was the moment when I knew I was called to be a host...

here is the question that just appeared before me out of nowhere...
when is the time to let go?

Thank you for this beautiful space...
filiz